INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

The court sent me an email before a court hearing waiting

Customer Question

The court sent me an email before a court hearing waiting for confirmation at least 7 days before the court date. This email was sent exactly a day before the 7 days and a day after my mother died. Since I had to go abroad for the funeral and didn't have access to my emails, I didn't see the email until a day before the court date. I replied straight away but they didn't answer back or call me on the day and just sent a judgement that we have to pay
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Sorry, I couldn't finish my message yet by mistake. I live in Manchester
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I complained online to the court that my rights to a fair trial were not honoured. They just now sent back an email not even answering to any of the points raised in my email.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I couldn't quite finish my explanation, but you get the gist of it...
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
the court ordered us to pay for the items of an online auction on the basis of them claiming it is a legal contract. But now they sent us a letter saying some lots are not available anymore, I assume they must have sold them. This proves though that there was no contract otherwise they also have to keep to it and can't just sell the items!
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  INC Law replied 18 days ago.

Thank you for your query. I am a Solicitor-Advocate in the UK and will be assisting you with your question today.

I see you have requested a telephone call.  Would you still like this service?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No, I prefer a written answer.
Expert:  INC Law replied 18 days ago.

I cannot see how the auctioneer can sell an  item if you have purchased it at auction and have been ordered to make a payment towards the item.

If the item has been sold separately, the argument is that there was no contract in existence.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
What about the fact that they didn't call me at all for the hearing even though I was due to circumstances (my mother's death) not able to see the email?
Expert:  INC Law replied 18 days ago.

You can possibly appeal to the court, however, you will need to obtain the courts permission to appeal.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
How do I obtain this permission. Also it happemed a few weeks ago, can I still do that?
Expert:  INC Law replied 18 days ago.

You will need to make an application to court for Leave to Appeal.