MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

I am looking for advice regarding a puppy I brought up as

Customer Question

I am looking for advice regarding a puppy I brought up as mines the past 10 months as she was basically abandoned on my by the owner that bought her as he wasn’t capable of looking after her. He asked to take her a walk for 3 hours a month ago but never brought her back. I contacted the Scottish prevention of cruelty to animals as I heard he only took her to breed her for money (yet she is only 14 months old) They told me to contact police as I had registered her under my name as owner with caring for her (incl vet visits) which I did however Police are saying it is a civil matter?? I find this very strange as the young dog’s health & happiness should be the most important matter?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Ive already explained in my previous message?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes just that I love the dog & she loves me unconditionally . The person that bought her however does not care about her or interested in her welfare only for money making
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Can you help at all?
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 10 days ago.

Hello. I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

You need to call the police again and ask this time insist they file a report. This will create a record of the theft and make it easier to retrieve your pet.

This is the best course of action and Scottish prevention of cruelty to animals are correct.

Please let me know how you get on we have a little poodle ourselves. Dread the thought of that happening. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The police do not seem to be taken the care of the dog seriously? There is an incident no for this. However they left me a voice message saying the breeder (whom I gave them the telephone no for to contact) as I had spoken to her months ago to say I had cared and brought Ava up full time for 10 months and wanted ownership of her with her being so happy and settled with me. The police say because the breeder confirmed she had sold Ava to Sean then he is the owner?

Do you have any papers for the puppy?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Papers that confirm I am her owner? The police took photos of them. To date (1 week) from my given statement they still have not contacted Sean the boy that bought her?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
It is like they do not want involved as they are not sure and anything easy just to close case?

The best course of action is to write to them requesting an update on the case. This will mean that you can refer to the correspondence should you issue court proceedings.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Do you know if how much court proceedings could cost? I work and am a single household owner

Every case is different and I could not give an indication of costs. However, I can direct you to the following website: https://www.lawworks.org.uk/legal-advice-individuals/find-legal-advice-clinic-near-you

You can search on here by your postcode to find whether any free services are available to you in your circumstances.
I hope this helps.