12826847

Dear Team I have a friend who is based at HMP Thameside

Customer Question

Dear TeamI have a friend who is based at HMP Thameside Prison (cat B), he is a category C prisoner. Could you please advise of the process of applying for the transfer to a category C prison e.g The Mount.Your assistance is appreciated.Best RegardsSaima
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London HMP Thameside
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: nothing yet, as conforming the process. I understand he will need to submit a transfer application first?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no not to my knowledge.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

can you give me all the background to this matter please

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Jo,My friend was charged with rape in January where he has pleaded not guilty as it was consensual.he was sentenced for 5 years. 2.5 to be served inside and 2.5 on license. He has been in Thameside for 4 months
He has put an application in for IEP status and is waiting for it to be signed.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

Ok, so what would you like to know about this?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Can a solicitor help with the transfer process? and what they do to assist e.g complete the transfer application form? Write a letter to the OMU? Call the prisoner etc thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

I am sorry but I cannot give you good news. I'm afraid you are in difficulty here.

I have to tell you the truth.

in all honesty, not really. Of course you could instruct us less at her. There is no legal age for that though and so you would have to pay and they will act up on your instructions but it would probably be fruitless. There isn't really anyway of chasing up a transfer application. Obviously IEP status is not aright anyway. It is an application which has to be considered and is sometimes refused

In truth, prisons are in chaos at the moment because of the pandemic and we all accept that but there isn't any magic wand that his solicitor could waive so I would save your money

I am sorry but I have to tell you the truth.

Do remember that I can only give you my opinion.

Another lawyer may have a different opinion. Litigation needs at least 2 parties and neither goes to court expecting to lose.

Nonetheless, one of them does, even though they have been told by their respective legal advisers that they have a good chance of success.

If there was a black-and-white answer to every legal problem there would be no need for anything to ever proceed to court.

The ultimate decision comes from a county court judge in a civil case or from the magistrate in a criminal case heard in the magistrates court or the jury in Crown Court.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Jo, thanks for your honesty and the information above. Take care.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

Good to talk to you.

No problem.

All the best.