12826847

I would like to discuss a parking contravention?

Customer Question

Expert:  Jo C. replied 18 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Please explain the situation - thanks

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I had parking contraventions from several years ago which have been sent to a previous address. There are 4 in total, 1 is with the enforcement officers and the other 3 they have sent letters to my current address as they have been able to trace me to my current address. I would like to know how I can appeal these as they have now reached large sums of money and I was unaware of them?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 18 days ago.

Did you update the DVLA with your address?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I moved away during the pandemic and it was difficult to update this. I am in the process of doing this but did not receive those contraventions and they are now a large sum of money?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 18 days ago.

I am sorry but I cannot give you good news. I'm afraid you are in difficulty here.

I have to tell you the truth.

You could make a statutory declaration to the effect that you didn’t get any of the essential documents. It might be refused on the basis that ultimately the reason you didn’t get them was that you didn’t update the DVLA. It might not though if you are saying that you did send the documents in and the DVLA just didn’t do it. If you are saying you did not then it may be refused.

Do remember that I can only give you my opinion.

Another lawyer may have a different opinion. Litigation needs at least 2 parties and neither goes to court expecting to lose.

Nonetheless, one of them does, even though they have been told by their respective legal advisers that they have a good chance of success.

If there was a black-and-white answer to every legal problem there would be no need for anything to ever proceed to court.

The ultimate decision comes from a county court judge in a civil case or from the magistrate in a criminal case heard in the magistrates court or the jury in Crown Court.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.