MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

I have two medical negligence matters which were caused by

Customer Question

Hi, I have two medical negligence matters which were caused by misdiagnosis from a hospital. Both events have had permanent affects on my health and mental wellbeing. The first event happened in 1998 leaving me deaf in one ear, loss of balance and permanent loss of sense of smell (and in turn loss of taste) and the second event caused me to have a pulmonary embolism. Do I still have a claim after the time lapse, as I have been on Anti Anxiety medication following the first event?
JA: Can you tell me where this is? And do you have copies of the medical records?
Customer: The hospital is Good Hope Hospital in Sutton Coldfield. And I am sure I can access my medical history online.
JA: Has anything been filed? If so, what?
Customer: Nothing has bee filed as my head was messed up following the permanent changes to my senses
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The first event was misdiagnosis of a fractured skull and temple bone, the second was caused by misdiagnosis of severly torn ligaments.
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 16 days ago.

Hello I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

Can you let me know the date of both misdiagnosis and also the date you became aware of the error?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you. I will need to access my medical record online. I will respond as soon as I can.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi, I have obtained my medical condition history (or part of it) as attached. The dates however do not really show what actually happened. Event 1 - I fell down the stairs at home which left me in anaphalactic shock and unconcious. When my wife found me she called 999 and I was taken to Good Hope Hospital in Sutton Coldfield. Now I had been clubbing on the Friday before and had taken recreational drugs, hence the statement on the attachment, however the accident was caused by me glancing the top of my head on the bulkhead as I was ascending the staircase which knocked me light headed and I fell backwards down the stairs. I am told that the hospital put me on a ventilator and into an induced coma to help me recover. I was in hospital for one to two weeks before being discharged to go home. I was feeling very unwell at this time. Then one or two days later I awoke one morning to find I had facial palsy to the right hand side of my face. I went back to A&E and the doctor looked in my ear and advised me that I had a fractured skull and temple bone, this was the first we knew about this. and the reason for the fascial palsy was due to a haematoma in my optical canal. I was prescribed a very high dose of steroids and luckily after a few days the palsy went away. However, I was now deaf in one ear, I lost my sense of smell (and in turn taste) and I could not stand up unless my eyes were open or I had three points of contact to enable me to balance. As you can imagine, I was in a very poorly state trying to come to terms with the permanent affects that resulted in the misdiagnosis. I then as you will see developed acute anxiety requiring CBT therapy and Anti Anxiety medication which I am still taking to date. I will explain event no 2 in my next text.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Event No. 2 - October 2007 - I was working from home, and went to make some breakfast. When doing so, I severely twisted my left knee, could not stand up and felt sick (which made me think I had broken something). I was immediately taken to A&E at Good Hope Hospital, who diagnosed this as 'just a twisted knee' and advised me to Rest, Compaction, Ice and Elevate my knee, which I did, but I was in excruciating pain all of the time. A day or so later my left leg began to significantly swell from just above the knee to my foot, so I once again attended A&E where I tried to explain that something felt trapped in my leg (the only way I could explain the feeling), their response was 'what can get trapped in you leg?' and sent me home saying the same as last time. A day or two later, still in agony with severe swelling, I developed what I believed to be a severe cramp in my left calf muscle. This lasted for another day or two, until eventually I felt the cramp instantly ease. Pain and swelling still there I went to bed that evening only to awaken with excruciating pain in my back which was accompanied by flooding with sweat. The pain came on in waves and each wave became stronger than before? Straight to doctors this time, who diagnosed me with a Pulmonary Embolism, which may have been caused by a blood clot on my left calf (answering why I thought it was cramp, it was actually a deep vein thrombosis as a result of being laid up unable to move. The doctor called 999 and got me immediately back into A&E where I was admitted to hospital and placed on the cardiac ward. And by the way, I need to use crutches since the initial twist. Whilst in hospital I received a CT Scan which confirmed I was suffering from a Pulmonary Embolism. They used clexane injections to slowly try to dissolve the clots on my right lung. This condition was so painful that not even morphine would touch the pain I was encountering. After one to two weeks I received the all clear from the PE and was let home. I was prescribed Warfarin to keep my blood thin enough for this not to happen again. After a while, and still on crutches I went back to A&E asking for more investigation into my knee problem, they scanned me and diagnosed the 'supposed twisted knee' as severe tears to both ligaments in my left knee which would require surgery. The problem now is that they could not operate on me whilst I was taking Warfarin. I was therefore on crutches for 18 months before being taken off Warfarin and being allowed to be operated on.
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 15 days ago.

The general time limit for medical negligenceand personal injury claims is 3 years from the date of the alleged negligence. This means that Court proceedings must be started by way of issuing a Claim Form at Court within 3 years.

Please let me know if I can help with anything else.