JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

How do I check if there is an arrest warrant out for me?

Customer Question

How do I check if there is an arrest warrant out for me? Also if something is passed to a balif can I also have an arrest warrant for me
JA: What were you charged with exactly? Do you have any upcoming court dates?
Customer: I went through a red light on a bicycle I didn’t bother going to court now they want £352 and they sent it to a balif apparently I have fines across 4 counties totalling £2885 if it’s balifs I don’t care cause they can’t arrest me
JA: Where did this occur?
Customer: the red light on a bicycle was in London
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 16 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 16 days ago.

Unfortunately there is no way of finding out if there is an arrest warrant out for you - all you could do is to contact the local Police station and ask them if there is one, which usually means goes in person to ask. The issue with this is if there is one they will take you in at the station.
The bailiffs will only try to recover the money from you if they know where you live. They cannot arrest you as they have no powers of arrest. You could contact a criminal lawyer and ask them to check for you - they should be able to find out if there is an active warrant out for you.

You can find a local solicitor via this site: https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk

The other option is to apply for a report from ACRO which is posted to you - it will give a list of convictions and any investigations currently ongoing - if that comes back as negative then I would say there is no arrest warrant out for you. Here is the link to apply for a Police certificate : https://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 16 days ago.

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,
Jim

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 16 days ago.

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,

Jim

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi Jim, thanks for the info. I suspect that most of these fines are just with balifs and relate to things like parking tickets rather than criminal offences. Except the going through the red light on a bicycle, as I was supposed to go to court for this.
I’m just wondering if they could issue an arrest warrant for this crime at some point if I don’t pay it?
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 16 days ago.

They may issue a bench warrant for not appearing in court, yes. And your passport may be flagged if this happens meaning if you try to fly out of the UK the border police would stop you. So my view is you pay the fine and that should be an end to the matter.