Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I have been reported for burying asbestos, Cornwall I'm a

Customer Question

I have been reported for burying asbestos
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Cornwall I'm a small property development
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Developer
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  Stuart J replied 17 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

I cannot answer your question without all the background to why and what you did?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I buried the asbestos on a part of my development that I am keeping for myself. I was never going to sell it to anyone. I was running low on funds and needed to deal with the asbestos.
So I dug a hole and placed the asbestos in there while talking steps to mitigate risk such as water dust suppression and safety masks.I thought as I didnt move it more that a couple of metres from where it was being stored and I was going to cover with reinforced concrete, that was a good plan.Obviously not.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 17 days ago.

As you are now gathering, burying it was not your best idea.  Many local authorities will allow non-commercial disposable asbestos free of charge.

Asbestos is Hazardous Waste within the provisions of the Hazardous Waste Regulations 2005.

If this was private you are also bound by the Control of Asbestos Regulations 201 and section 33.1 point see of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 disposal of controlled waste in a manner likely to cause pollution to the environment or harm to human health.

There is a whole raft of legislation covering asbestos.

What penalty are you likely to get?  Potentially, community service, and a fine which could be up to a couple of thousand pounds.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have