Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Dear Elam my stepson bought a car from a mercedes Benz

Customer Question

Dear Elam my stepson bought a car from a mercedes Benz dealer on Saturday and is very uncomfortable driving it as he finds it too big on the roads. He went back to the dealer to unwind the purchase but they are saying he can not use the 14 day clause. Is this correct
JA: Where is your stepson? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps has your stepson taken so far?
Customer: he has taken it back to the dealer Collingdale and they are refusing to unwind the deal after only 6 days? Document said 14 days or 1000 miles
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no I think that is it
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

Are you able to upload a copy of the document you are referring to on here so that I can take a look?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Not yet they are on the way back from Colindale the dealer
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

OK no problem. Please upload it when you are able to do so. I will receive a notification when you have sent it. Thanks

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Will talk to them when they get home
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

OK thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

HI I wonder if you have had the chance to get the requested information, please?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

Without the requested information, I can only provide you with the following general response, which will hopefully still answer your query. The 1 day cooling off period only applies to distance sales, which means if he had bought the car online or over the phone. If the purchase contract was concluded at the dealer’s premises, there is unfortunately no cooling off period and the sale is binding as soon as it is complete. The only grounds to reject the vehicle then would be if it was not of satisfactory quality, not as described or not fit for purpose. Any issues with suitability and it being too big on the roads is something that should have been determined in advance of the purchase, such as through a test drive. It will unlikely allow him to argue that the vehicle does not meet the criteria set out above.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.