How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4486
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

I have applied for divorce on the grounds of unreasonable

Customer Question

Hi, I have applied for divorce on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour and my ex has opposed it based on lies. I replied with a form D84 and provided my statements of truth with evidence.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: I have filed a divorce based on unreasonable behaviour grounds.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Yes, Bury St Edmunds
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes. I have a Separation agreement from 2018, I have evidence of domestic abuse, emotional and now he has left me with no financial support.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 15 days ago.

Hi, I’m Lea and I will be assisting you with your query today.

I am very sorry to hear about your dilemma, but will do my best to provide you with advice and guidance on what to do next. What is your legal question about this?

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

  1. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  2. The site does automated pop ups for calls, if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you.
  3. Customer services no. is:(###) ###-####9374
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if detailed review of documents is required, then this is likely to attract a premium service offer.
  5. Please note this is a Q&A site – there is no client/lawyer relationship involved. You are a customer of Just Answer.
  6. If it is a weekend, or evening/late, please be aware that responses may be slower. This is NOT a chat service, it is email based.
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 15 days ago.

The court will assess your D84 application and evidence and will very likely list the matter for a hearing at which both you and your spouse will be asked to appear to put your side of events forward. The judge will make a decision based on what reasons will be used to support the divorce. It is rare for a divorce to be dismissed because one party disagrees, but it can happen. If on the extremely unlikely chance yours is dismissed, you will be able to reapply in the late Autumn for a no fault divorce.

If you wish to resolve the finances you will need to try negotiating with your ex, and try mediation before making an application to court for a financial order on Form A. You need to get this application in after the decree nisi is granted and before the decree absolute.