How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 29201
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

Apple have taken a large amount of money from my account for

Customer Question

Apple have taken a large amount of money from my account for a charge made by a minor with out permission
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I’m in london
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have made refund request through apple site under their refund for purchase made by minor without permission about 3 times and have spoke to one manager and 2 senior managers all with out success, been given legal team for apples address which is in ireland
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: all made within the 14 day period
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 18 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

I am very sorry to read of the above and I imagine what a difficult position it must be. I will certainly try to clarify your options.

could you confirm whether you gave the minor access to a device on which you had authorised the card which was used or whether the minor registered the card himself with an apple a council device without your permission please?

Expert:  Joshua replied 18 days ago.

I'm following up on the above. Without some further information from you as above, I am limited in what I can say on the matter but in the hope it is helpful nonetheless, I will provide you with the following broad answer. If you are able to kindly provide me with the above further information or if you have any further questions generally, I will be delighted to expand on the following - please just reply back to me in this case:

Notwithstanding the above, in general terms the position is likely to depend heavily on whether you authorised your card on an Apple account / device and then gave that device to the child (lets call them C) and C then made transactions on that device without your permission or if C used your card details without your permission and registered it on an Apple account themselves whether this was one of your devices or one of C's and then made the transactions.

In the case of the former, you would likely be largely reliant upon apples refund policy because whilst he did not authorise the transactions, you did authorise your card in the circumstances on the Apple account which would have included authority for Apple to charge transactions made using the account to the card. Accordingly, from the card issuer's point of view, they will say you authorised use of the card and in the abuse of your Apple account as a matter as between you and Apple.

The position is very different however if C used your card without your permission in the second of my two above examples. In this case, this will amount to fraudulent use of your card and is a matter which you can raise as a charge back through your credit card or debit card provider. Of course, this potentially could expose C to a criminal investigation if the card issuer chooses to pass the matter to the police and this may be a matter which she would want to consider carefully perhaps not in relation to whether to make a report not but at least as an ongoing consideration. If you are not Cs parent, then you may wish to contact their parent to seek their involvement.

I hope the above is of some assistance but if you have any further questions, please revert to me

Expert:  Joshua replied 18 days ago.

I hope the above answers all your questions. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me otherwise thank you very much for visiting JustAnswer and I hope we will see you again in the future.