How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 23784
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

My girlfriend and her 3 teenage children were illegally

Customer Question

Hi my girlfriend and her 3 teenage children were illegally evicted from their home of over 7 years. Her landlady turned up at the house about a week ago, threatened her eldest daughter to hand over the house keys on the doorstep. The daughter refused and then she was given an eviction notice written on a scrap of paper to get out. She says it's for rent arrears. Text message from the land lady to my girlfriend confirms that she only owes £500 rent arrears. The police were notified while the landlady had already broken into the property and my girlfriend was on the other phone to citizens advice who told Emma that it was an illegal eviction. Now the police are saying its a criminal act but a civil one. How can this be so when she broke into Emma's home illegally and changed the locks. If we attend the property now and do the same in return to gain access its called breaking the law.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, where is this? And when did this happen?
Customer: This is in Middlesbrough and it happen on Tuesday
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: Apart from the front garden being over grown the house is in good decorative order
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I can think of***********is Emma's phone number.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 21 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Was she aware she was in rent arrears?

she received no court paperwork whatsoever?

and did this landlord protect her deposit and give her all the relevant Govt guides?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
No not until the landlord informed her, that the housing benefit hadn't paid her the rent. The £26 pound top up qhat she paid was all upto date, No No court paper work received, no solicitor paper work nothing. Nope nothing was giving to her regarding the deposit.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 21 days ago.

Assuming that the eviction is illegal which on the face of what you have told me it certainly is, then she is entitled to substantial compensation for unlawful eviction.

She may be entitled to legal aid so it would be worthwhile ringing around a few local solicitors.

you can search by postcode and specialism on the Law Society website find a solicitor link which is at the top left hand corner of the page.

She also needs to go to the local authority because with dependent children under 18, the local authority will immediately provide accommodation.

If she paid a deposit and the landlady did not put the deposit into a statutory scheme she’s also entitled to compensation of up to 3 times the deposit plus the return of the deposit.  If you Google

Tenant deposit claims solicitor

You will find lots of solicitors willing to take on this.  Try to find one that will not just deal with the tenant deposit claim but will also deal with the unlawful eviction.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Kind regards