Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I am separated from my husband he died this year in end of

I am separated from my husband he died this year in end of January 29 he has as &t FL pension fun and I've been told I cannot claim any pension I just liked to know ?if I could claim what he put in.. I know I can't claim what the company put in. he died of covid
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No not yet.
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I work part time for a cleaning company
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We being separated for a good few years bad never either of us went for a divorce my husband and did not want a divorce so I've been on my own looking after mine kids they are now adults

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Who has told you that you cannot claim?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
TfL pension fun. unless i can prove that i am living with my husband & paying house hold bills for the last 6 month. I do not have a claim

If you are still married, and he hasn’t pointed anybody to receive the benefits, then you would be entitled to whatever benefit a widow receives under the terms of the pension.

It could well be a criteria of the scheme but if you are not living with your husband you do not get any widow’s benefit although whether that is enforceable or not remains to be seen and if they refuse to pay out I would refer it to the Pension Ombudsman.  It’s free.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have