Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I have a question about eyesight. I know that sounds a bit

Customer Question

Hi, I have a question about eyesight. I know that sounds a bit odd, but I want to know if it is possible to have a sports coaching methodology protected that involves showing an athlete if they are sighting a line of aim correctly. Everyone's sight is different and there is a simple way to prove if you are sighting correctly or across the line of aim.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: United Kingdom
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None. This is a new business and we have our brand in place and are currently filming content for an online academy.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No that's all for now
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
As an addition to this, there is no product associated with this as we show the athletes how to do this themselves at home. All they need is a pencil. The pencil is placed on the line of aim vertically with a ball behind it. The player then gets into position to play their shot, but to check correct sighting they need to close each eye independently of themselves and the pencil will move to the right and left, depending on which eye is closed. They then need to move their head position so that the pencil moves the same distance left and right to confirm correct sighting.I think if there was a product used they it would be easier to protect, but I'm not sure that testing someone's sighting using a pencil can be protected?
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 16 days ago.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
that’s fine, I don’t mind waiting.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 15 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

So in essence it is a methodology which you will be showing people?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
that’s right. If it helps a similar methodology already exists from a company called SightRight, however that have developed a patented product to be used with the methodology.What we are proposing is to show people how they can make their own sighting aid at home and then how to use it.In essence I want to know if that is something I can do or will I be breaching the copyright of SightRight?
is your methodology different or the same their methodology?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It’s the same in as much as the player has to close each eye independently of one another to see if a sighting aid is central in their field of vision, but different in that they have developed a sighting aid which is a stepped board with a horizontal line on it, and our sighting aid is a vertical stick (or pencil) that is placed in a box and then positioned in front is a ball (or indeed any object).Incidentally, their patent GB2319968 appears to have expired.
I see, well in essence you will struggle to protect a technique because it’s an idea and an idea is not patentable in itself. You can write down the methodology and if you have a unique methodology try to patent that, I do think you will struggle though and it’s unlikely to prove productive for example Joe sees you methodology then tells Dave who tells Joan who tells Sarah and so on. Trying to sue for patent infringement would be a nightmare and even if you could there is no commercial gain so damages would be minimal at best. I trust this assists
Let me know if you have further questions
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks Jeremy. That's actually good news because I'm not really interested in protecting what I am doing. I didn't think you could anyway.What I'm really after is ensuring that I can do what I am planning and I won't infringe the copyright of SightRight, as I know he can be quick to threaten people who he perceives are treading on his toes. I was thinking that so long as the sighting aid that I am using is different, which it clearly is, then I would be ok?
that’s fine besides which if his patent has expired he can’t do anything about it anyway. I trust this assists.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
You’ve been very helpful. Thanks.
No problem take care