Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I am looking for some advice relating to a lease I hold for

Customer Question

Hello. I am looking for some advice relating to a lease I hold for a garage
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Surrey
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: the owners of the garage, our neighbours, have advised that the garage needs a new roof and that, as such, we will have to pay a large contribution according to the lease that we have signed. We would like to clarify if a new roof falls under the terminology 'tenantable repair', as outlined in the lease
Expert:  Joshua replied 15 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

I am very sorry to read of the above and I imagine what a difficult position it must be. I will certainly try to clarify your options.

do you have a copy of the lease you refer to available please to upload using the " add file" button?

Expert:  Joshua replied 15 days ago.

I'm following up on the above. Without some further information from you as above, I am limited in what I can say on the matter but in the hope it is helpful nonetheless, I will provide you with the following broad answer. If you are able to kindly provide me with the above further information or if you have any further questions generally, I will be delighted to expand on the following - please just reply back to me in this case:

Notwithstanding the above, in general terms you will need to review the lease in detail and in particular, the extent of your demise granted under the lease - many leases will exclude the roofs and foundations for example - and in relation to that demise, the extent of your repairing obligations in relation to your demise. The landlord will be limited in respect of what they can demand to the terms of the lease in this respect and I will be happy to provide further information if you are in a position to upload a copy of the lease

I hope the above is of some assistance but if you have any further questions, please revert to me

Expert:  Joshua replied 15 days ago.

I hope the above answers all your questions. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me otherwise thank you very much for visiting JustAnswer and I hope we will see you again in the future.