Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Is bullying a claim you can bring to court, In my workplace,

Customer Question

Is bullying a claim you can bring to court
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In my workplace
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Well I've just had a video call with a judge as I put on my claim form against my old company that I was bullied and victimisation and she said that bullying doesn't mean nothing and victimisation falls under the disability discrimination act and because I didn't tick the discrimination box it's been dis aloud
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: In my first claim form i put unfair dismissal and victimisation and bullying also premeditated dismissal, and all that she is allowing me to proceed with is unfair dismissal which I think is wrong and unfair is this correct
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 19 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 19 days ago.

Please explain the reason for the claim in some more detail

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 19 days ago.

Hello, I was wondering if you have had a chance to consider my query above please? I will need your response before I provide an accurate answer to your situation. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 19 days ago.

Without the requested information, I can only provide you with the following general response, which will hopefully still answer your query.

There is no standalone claim for bullying under UK law unfortunately. Therefore, to claim for bullying you have to claim one of the following: unfair dismissal (if you have been dismissed as part of the bullying), constructive dismissal (if you have been forced to resign because of the bullying), or discrimination (if you have been bullied due to a protected characteristic, such as gender, age, race, etc).

As to victimisation, they are correct that it only occurs if you have been discriminated to start with. However, if there has been no discrimination, there is no possibility for victimisation.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 19 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.