How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 29197
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

We would like help with information in the right to buy, I

Customer Question

We would like help with information in the right to buy
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Kirkby and lived at this address for 43years . With my husband and son. We roughly know how much to buy and have 28 / 30 thousand to pay .we had some difficulties 11 years ago and became bankcruped . We need to now how this will effect us
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: we asked our housing group to send us the forms to start.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The money was left to us from my husband father Few years ago and we are wondering if this would be a problem
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 11 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

  1. May I confirm if both you and your husband are named on the tenancy or if you are jointly named along with your son also please?
  2. you mentioned there is a concern as regards ***** ***** May I enquire as to which of you is at risk of potential bankruptcy?
Expert:  Joshua replied 11 days ago.

I'm following up on the above. Without some further information from you as above, I am limited in what I can say on the matter but in the hope it is helpful nonetheless, I will provide you with the following broad answer. If you are able to kindly provide me with the above further information or if you have any further questions generally, I will be delighted to expand on the following - please just reply back to me in this case:

Notwithstanding the above, in general terms the threat of bankruptcy or indeed being made bankrupt does not preclude your right to buy a council property where you otherwise qualify. However, in practical terms, whilst it does not take away your right, if a mortgage is required to support the purchase, then any bankruptcy by either of the applicants is likely to make mortgage substantially more difficult and certainly more expensive to obtain. Accordingly, whilst bankruptcy may not provide a legal impediment to the right to buy, there may be financial impediment as a consequence of any bankruptcy

I hope the above is of some assistance but if you have any further questions, please revert to me

Expert:  Joshua replied 11 days ago.

I hope the above answers all your questions. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me otherwise thank you very much for visiting JustAnswer and I hope we will see you again in the future.