How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4784
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

My wife is in a care home suffering with memory

This answer was rated:

My wife is in a care home suffering with memory loss/dementia we do not have lpa`s, i applied to court of protection to be made a deputy 18 m months ago. I need advice on re-draughting my will, regarding bequeathing our or my assetts
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Redhill Surrey
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Other than applying to the court of protection to be made her deputy in january 2020, nothing
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: As far as I am aware our house is owned jointly, and our present wills I would describe as like for like

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Holding deputyship for your wife does not stop you changing your own personal will.

You say the wills are like for like, if it is a joint will, then there will be difficulties changing that, but I expect you have mirror wills, if there are two wills. A morrow will looks alike but is still a separate will, and you are completely free to go ahead and change your personal will as you wish.

If the house is jointly owned, the should the worst happen to your wife, the property by way of survivorship becomes your anyway.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

james bruce and other Law Specialists are ready to help you