MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

I have a question regarding license to occupy on a medical

Customer Question

Hi I have a question regarding license to occupy on a medical property
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: london
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Contacting the licensor by email
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am looking for advice regarding holding the deposit
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Can my licensor hold my deposit if I terminate my contract with one day notice ?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The contract says 28 days notice .
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 17 days ago.

Good evening I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
That’s great thank you
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
In a license to occupy contract with 28 days notice to terminate the contract, if the licensee gives just one dat notice , can the licensor hold the deposit to cover the month’s rent ?

Do you have a copy of the contract available? If so please upload as an attachment.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hope you can let me know if the licensor has rights to hold the deposit in full
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 16 days ago.

The best course of action is to contact the licensor and explain what you wish to do. Agree the balance that is owed in any rent. Thereafter pay the amount outstanding and request that the waive the notice period and return the deposit.

If there is anything else I can help with please let me know.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you very much for clarifying. There is no rent outstanding. He is holding the deposit which is one month rent to cover the notice period which is one month . As I understand it is not illegal that he holds the deposit. It can only be requested . Is that right ?

A deposit is not held in lieu of final months rent it is often to protect from any damage to the property. If you wish to leave it in lieu of the final months rent you would need to agree this with the licensor.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok I understand. My license to occupy started on the 6th of April and I emailed him on the 6th of May mentioning that I wanted to terminate the contract. He emailed me to say
‘ would you vacate this weekend then’ . Then I agreed and vacated on the 9th of May. I assumed that he would return the deposit in few days . On the 22nd of May when I emailed him to remind him of the deposit , he didn’t reply . When I reminded him of the deposit again he replied saying it is offensive that I am asking for the deposit back. He also mentioned he has rented the room out .Now as you explain, I can pay the rent and get the deposit back . Though it won’t make any difference it has to be done for the records .
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 12 days ago.

How are you getting on, did you manage to get the deposit back?

Is there anything else I can help with?

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 11 days ago.

Thank you for your enquiry. When you receive an email, could you leave a review as it really helps with my ratings?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi thank you for your help. I have emailed the landlord . I haven’t received a reply from him . Sure , I will leave a review

Perfect. Thanks a million.