How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4735
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I would like to recover my deposit back for a purchase that

Customer Question

Hi ,
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: i would like to recover my deposit back for a purchase that didn't take place
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Devon ,United Kingdom
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Meet the seller , the purchase didn't go ahead due to no documents present / now the seller is refusing to return the deposit
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 11 days ago.

Good afternoon, thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Can you provide me with some further information so that I can best advise you?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The vehicle was advertised on eBay, I agreed to pay the deposit via bacs transfer upon receiving all info I needed at the time. Turns out that when I got to see the vehicle there was no v5 document present in the name current owner therefore I couldn’t complete the sale there and then. To see the vehicle I had to travel nearly 500 miles .
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 11 days ago.

Thank you for the confirmation, this is outside my scope of expertise therefore I will opt out and allow another expert to pick this up.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Expert:  james bruce replied 11 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Expert:  james bruce replied 11 days ago.

You certainly dod the right thing not completing on the purchase of the car if the seller did not have the legal paperwork required to sell it. You could have been buying anything.

If they are now refusing to refund your money, you should send them a formal "letter before claim".

This letter sets out you claim against them what it is for the amount and a date to repay you by, otherwise you will commence legal action against them.

Then if they do not pay, you can start a money claim against them at court.

You could also consider reporting the matter to the police just in case it was a scam to sell you a car not belonging to them. Call, the police on 101.

To help you, I have attached a template letter you can use, and also a link to the online money claim at court.

I hope this helps.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Expert:  james bruce replied 11 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.