How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Turner Your Own Question
Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1729
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ed Turner is online now

I’ve recently Carried out some building works for someone

Customer Question

HiI’ve recently Carried out some building works for someone
They were never happy all the way through the job and we received lots of emails and wassap messages of abuse, harassment, threatening and bullying basically not fun to receive
He is not changed some of the work we have completed which now the abuse is starting againHow can I message back regards ***** *****
Is it a police matter or some other way to get him out of our life’sMany thanks Darren
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 14 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 14 days ago.

Hello.   I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and shall be reviewing your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 14 days ago.

You have a claim in professional negligence, breach of contract and breach of the sale and supply of goods and services legislation against the builder.   The Defendant was under a duty in contract law and statute to provide you with a product and service that was fit for purpose and of reasonably satisfactory quality.

If their actions or inaction have caused you financial loss, your damages will be recovery of your losses caused as a result of their conduct, plus interest on damages and legal costs.   Damages will be the monies you have already paid them, the costs you have incurred of rectifying their work with other suppliers and the rental costs of alternative accommodation while your home is being repaired.

If the damages you are claiming are less than £10,000, the claim will be placed on the Small Claims Track.   You are unlikely to be ordered to pay the other party’s legal advisers’ costs of the claim; only court fees for issuing the claim and for the hearing itself.  A party cannot normally recover solicitors’ costs on the Small Claims Track.   However, it is designed for non-lawyers (known as “Litigants In Person”).  The trials are relatively informal, and the judges do not expect parties to have the same legal knowledge as experienced solicitors and barristers.

However, if the value of the claim is over £10,000, it will be placed on the Fast Track of the Civil County Courts and if it is over £25,000, it will be placed on the Multi Track of the County Courts.   The normal rule is the winning party may recover its legal costs from the losing party, either at a final hearing or a favourable settlement.   Therefore, you are at a significant risk of this action costing you more than just your own legal costs if you are unsuccessful.

I suggest you instruct specialist Construction Litigation Solicitors.   They will take your instructions and review all existing documentation and correspondence and advise you on your prospects of success.

If you have a Home and Contents Insurance Policy with Legal Expenses Cover, it may be worth notifying your insurers and requesting that your legal fees in this claim be paid and/or that they appoint a law firm on their panel of insurers to conduct your claim.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 14 days ago.

I hope this resolves your enquiry.   Please revert to me if you require any clarification of my answer to your question and I shall be delighted to assist.

Kind regards