How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2806
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

I have had a new bathroom fitted by Wickes on March 1st, I

Customer Question

I have had a new bathroom fitted by Wickes on March 1st, I paid £6800 in October 2020, there have been a few leaks and my kitchen ceiling has come down through the amount of water , the
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: England, I just need advice ,as months of e mails and the plumber who I had to call out sent his report and they are disputing it and said I should go through my insurance which I have a £750 excess and as it was not my fault why should i
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Talked to to citizens advice but they have said go to papers with this but I want to get this sorted out properly and have every e Mail and photos that I have sent they have actually sent me a cheque for the bathroom ceiling that was supposed to be plastered and I sent them photos of the bad job they paid to get it done again
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: only the plumber that I got to fix the leak has said the 2 pipes from the cold and hot pipes that comes through the floorboards went straight to my Bath but now they're bent and on the floor and he said whoever done this was a cowboy , all I want is Wickes to send someone out to see the state of the installation
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I am still waiting
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 12 days ago.


Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays but rest assured that I will respond within 24 hours.

The Consumers Rights Act states that services provided must be performed with reasonable care and skill. Where services are provided are not done with reasonable care and skill then the consumer can exercise a number of remedies.

One of the remedies is specific performance which means that the service provider returns to fix the issue at no costs to you.

In view of this and the fact you have a second opinion which states the service provided by wickes was below standards it appears your rights have been breached.

Therefore you should obtain a written report from the person that stated that wickes provided a cowboy to do the works. Send the written report to wickes and also remind them of your rights under the Consumers Rights Act.

Assuming they do not accept your position I suggest you consider filing a complaint with the trading standards and homes improvement ombudsman.

Alternatively you can consider court action against wickes. With regards ***** ***** action I suggest you consider instructing a local commercial solicitor to assist you with this process.

I hope I have clarified the position.

Thanks and stay safe.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for the advice
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 12 days ago.

Your welcome

Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 12 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given.

Thanks and stay safe