How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13899
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I want to sue a company based in the netherlands, I'm in the

This answer was rated:

I want to sue a company based in the netherlands, I'm in the Uk. How do I do that?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have tried to contact back and forth for over a year. I tried the MCOL but that's only UK
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Well I paid £5 for my answer so if you're going to cancel it then I'd like my money back.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

It is more complex since the UK left the EU as you can no longer use the paper-based European Small Claims procedure.
You can still sue them though. First of all you should send the company a letter before action to demand your money back within 14 days, failing which you will issue a claim.

The attached letter is generic and needs to be tailored to your dispute.

You can sue them and ask the UK court for permission to serve the claim abroad. You need the defendant's address in the Netherlands for the purposes of the claim form.

You need forms N1 and N510, available here :

The N510 - the first tick box at section 2 is required to be ticked. You then send 3 copies to County County Money Claims Centre, PO Box 527, Salford, M5 0BY for the court to issue.

You must include the issue fee - the fee depends on the sum claimed. The fee is listed on page 5 (under court issued claim) :

If you pay the fee it needs to be made payable to HMCTS, or your an pay by phone if you ring the court on 0300(###) ###-####/p>

The court will return them to you, you then serve them on the shop by posting them with N215 (available here:

The papers are served on the defendant who then has 14 days to acknowledge the claim - they do this by filling out an acknowledgment of service and they post it to the court. They indicate their intention when they do this, i.e. whether they admit the claim in full or partly, or if they deny the claim.

If they want to defend the claim then their defence is due by 28 days from the date the court served them with the papers. If there is no settlement then the claim will be dealt with at a final hearing which takes anything from 9 to 12 months from when you start the claim - longer if the claim is higher value. You can pursue the claim yourself or use a law firm. For the hearing you can use an advocate if you wish, though it's not compulsory.

Note, if they fail to respond to the court proceedings then you can ask the court for judgment in default - meaning you win in a matter of weeks and you then have a CCJ against the defendant.

I have details of law firms and advocacy agencies if you would like those. Though in a small claim you won't be able to recover their charges from your opponent. A small claims hearing is easy to do, it's quite informal and no lawyer is required.

Once you win then the judgment can be registered at their local civil court for enforcement assuming they still refuse to pay you.

You may find they just pay you after receiving the letter before action – hopefully they will want to avoid litigation.

I hope this helps?

(insert name and address) (insert date)


Dear Sirs,

Re: Claim for (insert sum)

I refer to the above matter. (Insert details of the dispute).

This letter is being sent to you in accordance with the Pre-Action Protocol (“the Protocol”) contained within the Civil Procedure Rules (“CPR”). In particular, I refer you to paragraph 7 of the Protocol, and paragraphs 13 to 16 of the Practice Direction on Pre-Action Conduct and Protocols regarding the Court’s powers to impose sanctions for failing to comply with the provisions of the Protocol.

I therefore put you on notice of my intention to issue county court proceedings against your company for my losses should I not receive payment in full by 4 pm on (insert date 30 calendar days).

Should court proceedings be necessary I will claim the court issue fee and statutory interest. Should I succeed in obtaining a judgment, same will be transferred to the High Court for enforcement against you whereby further costs will be added to the judgment sum.

I trust the above will not be necessary and I therefore look forward to hearing from you as a matter of urgency.

Yours sincerely,

(insert name)

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,


JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13899
Experience: Senior Associate Solicitor
JimLawyer and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you very much, hopefully this will help!BestKaty

My pleasure, I am sure it will.
Have a good weekend.