How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 74
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

I have paid barrister £1440 the court cancel the court case

This answer was rated:

I have paid barrister £1440 the court cancel the court case and rescheduled from to October 2021 I am asking for the fees to be rolled over onto the new case. The barrister representative informed me there will be additional fees as the case is far away.Am I entitled to ask for part refund for the work which haven’t been done?

I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

A barrister by the nature of their jobs are negotiators. It would be advisable to speak with the barrister on a one to one basis and confirm the figure you are prepared to pay and check whether they will accept that amount and hold the remainder on account for the later date.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
What if they would not accept the amount I can afford to pay, would I loose all money or would I get the refund?

If they do not accept it this will very much depend on the terms of the contract you have agreed with them. Can you send me a copy of the agreement?

Check the terms of the agreement and more specifically the fees and charges section. This will contain the answer you require. If I can help any further please do not hesitate to contact me.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thank you so much Martin, I am attaching page regarding cancellation policy, I much appreciate your advice
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Also, the rights to complain.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
The agreement is specifically for the case on the 4th of June which was cancelled 48h before. The barrister so far prepared draft order, assess schedule

Hello thanks for the terms.
That makes sense. You need to write to the barrister and ask the to provide an itemised bill for the work undertaken and provide a refund for the balance monies in accordance with section 10(b). I hope this helps. Let me know how you get on. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

MARTINT330 and 5 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you Martin, I have taken your previous advice to pay additional fee and roll over outstanding of the fee I have already paid of £1440They have came back to me with following:‘Barrister had read all of your papers and prepared the necessary documents, and is therefore not able to offer a refund. Should you wish to recover the fee, you should raise a complaint with the court manager and seek costs from them.
In terms of the fee for the new date, Adrian will need to re-read your papers nearer the time to ensure he is fully up to speed with your case in order to provide you with the best representation. I propose a further fee of £500 plus VAT.’
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
have taken your previous advice to pay additional fee and roll over outstanding of the fee I have already paid of £1440 on the new date of the case in October
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I will try to find Barrister from different chamber for following cases, just to avoid potential problems. Also I will double check the contract.

No problem. Happy to help.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you