Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I was involved in a chain sale Selling my property to buy

Customer Question

I was involved in a chain sale Selling my property to buy another We agreed on a date for me to sell my house and to sign contracts to buy another
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: But the seller has now backed out of the sale, we have sold our house and in 2 weeks will have no where to live
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No this has just happened
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No I dont think so
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

If you need to contact customer services you can do so by calling free on: 0808(###) ###-####or by email: *****@******.***

You may get a request offering you a telephone call. I am more than happy to do this for you but please note that this is a premium service and therefore attracts an additional charge. This charge is not instead of asking an online question but in addition to. You do not have to accept a telephone call and if you do not wish to have it, please do not click on the request for one. Should you do so then you will be charged for the call.

I will try and answer your question promptly, but as this is an online service there can be delays.

Don’t worry you do not have to wait here for an answer and you will get an email when I respond.

Now let me just take a look and your question and I will see if I can provide an answer for you.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

Have contracts been exchanged?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Well it was a supposed to be a chain sale, taking place yesterday. I have sold me property and was supposed to sign the paperwork to buy my new property the same day.. the seller for the new property I am purchasing has now changed his mind and not selling
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

Have you exchanged contracts?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Not to buy this one
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
But yes I've sold my house so mine has been
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

Its bad news I am afraid. Any party can pull out for any reason UNTIL contracts have been exchnaged.

If contracts are exchanged its a binding contract and you can seek a Court order.

But until that happens, either can pull out.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.

If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Please help me understand this
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

Yes, what is it you would like to know?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Even though the estate agents and both sets of solicitors were involved the knew what the agreement was for is to buy the property after selling ours.. hes still allowed to back out of the deal knowing we have signed our contact to sell out house. We are no longer the owners of the house we are living in and need to be out in the next week. We were supposed to move to the new house we were going to buy, but hes now changed his mind.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
He is aware we have sold our house too
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
there nothing we can do ??
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

Unless contracts have been exchanged, there is sadly nothing you can do.

I am very sorry.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

My pleasure