Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I want to ask about a situation of friend...a trial in

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: i want to ask about a situation of friend...a trial in Romania without he be present...not a fair trial for sure...the punishment is 4 years 4 monts..was given in march 2019..he in Uk..
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: leeds
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: is about a friend is not about me...he didnt taked any steps...but he is afraid that Romania will ask an EWA from UK
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: is here in UK any steps to do before happen this?
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
hi
i was redirected here
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
can you see my querry?
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 19 days ago.

Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 18 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

The UK is no longer in the European Arrest Warrant system and so a EAW cannot be issued for someone in the UK: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/feb/27/uk-to-withdraw-from-european-arrest-warrant

I trust this assists

Let me know if you have queries

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
It was replaced with "surrender"...what you say about this? Last days i heared about a case where a man was extradated in Romania,i know his wife and i am sure about this...so my question is how he was extradeted if UK is not anymore under EAW?Thx

There is a separate EU-UK agreement on surrender agreement which still has provisions for an arrest warrant but under the new treaty so it is not an EAW but a surrender treaty arrest warrant. Given his conviction the Romanian Authorities could ask the UK to issue an arrest warrant for your friend and ask he be deported to Romania to got to prison as per his sentence. I trust this assists you in understanding your position however, should you have any supplementary inquiries, do not hesitate to ask and I will look to clarify or expand on my previous response.