SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Advocate
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
107664070

How do cryptocurrency exchanges survive a crash for example

Customer Question

How do cryptocurrency exchanges survive a crash for example if they have cryptocurrency to sell worth 1 billion and there is a big crash and that pile of crypto is now worth 20 million for example would this not bankrupt the exchange?Do the exchange have a crypto stockpile or do they buy on demand ?
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 14 days ago.

Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 13 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

I feel this is outside my expertise on further consideration so shall opt out

Expert:  AlinaK-admin replied 12 days ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Alina-Moderator
Expert:  SS Legal Advisor replied 12 days ago.
I am an experienced legal advisor (not financial) and I am happy to answer your question.What I think you need to understand about an exchange is that it is more of a middle man than a seller. Its makes money by taking commission on facilitating the sales and purchases.They will be impacted by a crash but not mainly by the losses in crypto value but by the fall in people buying and selling crypto after a crash.Kind regards
S