SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

I am on Universal Credit going through divorce. How can I

I am on Universal Credit going through divorce.
How can I apply for help from solicitor and barrister?

Hi, I’m Lea and I will be assisting you with your query today.

I am very sorry to hear about your dilemma, but will do my best to provide you with advice and guidance on what to do next. Are you asking if you are eligible for legal aid? Or how to find a solicitor or barrister?

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

1. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  2. The site does automated pop ups for calls, if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you.
  3. Customer services no. is:(###) ###-####9374
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if detailed review of documents is required, then this is likely to attract a premium service offer.
  5. Please note this is a Q&A site – there is no client/lawyer relationship involved. You are a customer of Just Answer.
  6. If it is a weekend, or evening/late, please be aware that responses may be slower. This is NOT a chat service, it is email based.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi Lea, I am asking if I am eligible for legal aid

Legal aid has been decimated, so it is only available in very limited circumstances for private family law cases, such as divorce. You will have had to suffer some form of abuse from your spouse to meet the initial criteria, and then you will need to meet the financial criteria as well.

You can start the process of checking your eligibility at the link below. You complete the first part and if you are eligible you will be asked to input your financial details, and will then be given a phone number to call, or be asked to leave your details so someone can call you.

In the event that you are not eligible, you can find a solicitor here: solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk

www.gov.uk/check-legal-aid

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you so much! Is financial abuse of 11 years qualifying as a form of abuse?

It might do - you will need to complete the online form and see what evidence you need to supply.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.

You're very welcome.

Good luck

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you Lea

All the best.