SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I have been left 125K and listed on the will as 'Pecuniary

Customer Question

I have been left 125K and listed on the will as 'Pecuniary legacies'
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The son who is one of the executors messaged me and said at a guess I will only receive 30-40K
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 14 days ago.

Good morning, welcome to just answer. I am a solicitor and reviewing your question now for you.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
hello

If the pecuniary legacy is specifically stated as £125,000 then there is no reason why the executor can decide and inform you of a different figure. They will have to explain further and perhaps it is that the Estate does not have the amount bequethed to you and the deceased may have had more money at the time of drafting the Will but by the time he passed on it had been used. You ought to ask the reason why and the response will tell you if its an unjustified decision that you can challenge or its that there is simply no money in the deceased estate. Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your follow up message. All the best.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Should I accept what he tells me as gospel?

You do not have to accept anything if he is not providing the evidence.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
what is the best way to write this as I don't want to look as if I don't trust him even if I don't .
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Should I tell him any such evidence needs to come via the solicitor that is dealing with the estate?

You ought to just say to him, thank you for letting me know, however you will appreciate that having the knowledge that £125,000 was let for me as pecuniary legacy your notification would be a surprise. May ask the reason for your estimate that it would be the sum you have suggested please and if there is evidence may I kindly request that this is provided to the solicitor dealing with the probate so that it can be explained to me in a way that will be clear and unequivical.

This is just my suggestion but you can tweek it to suit exactly what you want to say.