Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

I purchased a smart phone last week. When it arrived,

Customer Question

I purchased a smart phone last week. When it arrived, supposedly brand new, it had no charger connection etc. I have since found out that it was a reconditioned one and the shop doesn't send chargers etc. What can I do?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I LIVE IN SURREY
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i HAVE RUNG THE SHOP BUT IT TOOK AGES TO SPEAK TO ANYONE. i EXPLAINED MY DISSATISFACTION BUT i more or less got fogged off.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I paid over £800 for the phone.
Expert:  Vineet S replied 19 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Meanwhile, please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 19 days ago.

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about that.

If you have been sold a refurbished phone as a new phone and charged full price for it , then you have protection under the consumer laws.

If you buy a new or used product from a seller and experience problems with it, you have some statutory rights under the Consumer Rights Act

The Act states the product must be “of a satisfactory quality”, “fit for purpose” and “as described”.

You have a right to reject something faulty and you are entitled to a full refund within 30 days of purchase.

So, you can reject the iphone if it is faulty and ask for the full refund.

If the seller fails to refund you. then you can recover your cost via the small claims court proceedings.

You need to send a letter before claim to the seller asking for the refund within 14 days of the letter.

If that seller still fails to refund you the full price paid by you for this phone then you can start your court claim online using the below link-

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

Regarding the missing charger, some of the iphone models are coming without chargers these days due to so -called environmental reasons, so, you need to see on the box, that what is included in the phone box to know if it comes with a charger or not.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.