Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have issue with car, which i bought 3 days back, seller is

Hi, i have issue with car, which i bought 3 days back, seller is private person.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: When i came to check car, everything was fine. Car wasn't used for 2 days and today when i went ho to work i realize there's a engine issue, repair Can COST from 400£ till 1000£. And airbag start light this morning, but car haven't accident by hpi check. I am living in Grays, rm17
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I call to owner and i've asked him for partial refund (at least 400£) and he said Max 200 So i thinking if i Can return car for full refund
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I think this is All.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

How did the seller describe the car, prior to you buying it?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Hi Ben, hope you get Well. Okay

Thank you. How did the seller describe the car, prior to you buying it?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I wrote to seller friend coz it vieš throught him and he said that this car is fully working, he said there was changed timing Belt and clutch but they're haven't proof.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Goes*

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

When a person buys a vehicle from a private seller, their legal rights will be rather limited and will certainly not be as extensive as if it was bought from a dealer. The legal principle of ‘caveat emptor’ (also known as ‘buyer beware’) applies, where the buyer needs to satisfy themselves that they are happy with the description and condition of the car before they purchase it. There is no legal right to expect that the vehicle is of satisfactory quality or fit for purpose.

In general, private vehicle sales would only provide the buyer with rights in the following circumstances:

- False description - if the vehicle did not match the description given, whether in the advert or any subsequent discussions with the seller, it will amount to a breach of contract or misrepresentation. However, the seller does not have to reveal any issues with it, even if they knew about them. They simply should not make statements that will make the description false

- Roadworthiness - every vehicle must be roadworthy and if the condition of its brakes, tyres, steering or construction makes it unfit for the road, it will not be roadworthy, which is also a criminal offence

Any issues with the vehicle should initially be attempted to be resolved directly with the seller. If they are unwilling to co-operate, or no agreement can be reached and there is evidence that they had breached their obligation as listed above, further action can be considered. This could eventually lead to a claim for compensation, such as for any repair costs or for the refund value of the vehicle. This can be initiated through the Small Claims Court via https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.