SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I enroled in a Masters course at Leicester university which

I enroled in a Masters course at Leicester university which began on 5rh April and paid a fee of £5,000before the end of March. After doing some reading, I decided that the course was not for me and withdrew, following all the correct procedures and within the time scale set by the university. After repeated atems to get a refund, with the support of the Distance Learning Programmes staff, I have not succeeded. The Finanace department seem incapable or unwilling to act. I was told nine days ago that I would receve the refund within 2-3 days. I have not. Even taking into account the weekend and bank holiday, that still leaves 6 days. What do you suggest that I do?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I have not talked to a lawyer about this. I live in the UK.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Written several times to my contacts at the university who are pushing the finance department on my behalf. This is an email received this morning after another nudge from me yesterday.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Hello Sue, thank you for copying me into the email. I’m so sorry to hear you are still waiting for this refund. I’m not sure whether Kate is working today so I am escalating this to her line manager, James.Hi James – if Kate is not in today, could you look into what is happening with this refund and respond to Sue as quickly as possible please?Best wishesYvonneYvonne Lee (she/her)Operations ManagerSchool of Museum StudiesSchool of Education

Good morning, welcome to just answer. I am a solicitor and reviewing your question now for you.

The university has clearly agreed to pay the refund so it is not a matter of them refusing to refund. Theyt ought to be transparent on the reason for the delays. The legal obligation however is to reimburse within 14 days so if 14 days have not passed from the date of accepting to refund you would not be able to take legal action yet, but if it has passed you should send them a letter before action threatening that you will take legal action in the County Court  in which case there wil also be court fees and costs to pay. You must be firm otherwsie they can continue procrastinating whilst you suffer financial detriment as you no longer have your money to use as you wish. Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message, always glad to assist. All the best