SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I got a letter from my insurance accusing me of fraud after

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I got a letter from my insurance accusing me of fraud after I made a claim on content. I may have missed out on a detail and they need me to respond in 14 days. I need professional help before I do
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Manchester
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none since the letter
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Good morning, welcome to just answer. I am a solicitor and reviewing your question now for you.I shouldn't be long to revert to you.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok. Thank you!

You must respond to them refuting that you have been fraudulent and if it was an honest error just explain it and detail what you missed out and why you may have not recorded them. Fraud is a serious allegation and therefore you want to nip it in the bud and explain yourself to their satisfaction without delay. Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. All the best.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Could I please type what was written to me and then a draft of my response here for you to please have a quick look at?

You may, strictly reviewing content of a formal document is a premium service but it's ok you can send and I will guide you.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Dear Mr Elegbede,We write to confirm the present position in respect of the above claim.
Your claim was registered with AXA on 19th May 2021, where you confirmed on 17th May 2021 your
personal HP Spectre laptop, powered off and stopped charging.
On 20th May 2021 you had a telephone conversation with our Claims Advisor Deborah, where you
stated you think the damage has been caused by water, when my colleague asked the reason why
you advised you saw a spot of water on the laptop but wasn’t sure and whilst using the device, it
powered off.
Following this call, we appointed our electrical specialists Be Valued who contacted you to discuss
the circumstances where you advised them that you were not sure whether it was water damage or
a power surge which caused the damage to the laptop, some of the keys were not working properly
at the time and the item was no longer working or charging.
The engineers at Be Valued then completed a full inspection of your laptop and created a report
based on their findings. This report was then sent to the Investigation Team for a further review and
we contacted you via telephone on 2nd June 2021 to discuss your claim in further detail.
During this call we questioned the circumstances surrounding the damage. You confirmed the
incident happened on the date you input on the form when you registered the claim which we can
confirm was 17th May 2021. On this day you informed us that you were sat on the sofa in your living
room with your laptop on your lap on the website YouTube.
Whilst you were using the laptop, you advised your five year old son came up to you with a glass of
water in his hands, the glass spilt onto the sofa and the water splashed onto the laptop which was in
use. You confirmed at this stage there was no damage to the laptop, so you continued to use it for a
further two hours which is when the laptop turned itself off. You realised the laptop had stopped
charging and turned off once it had run out of charge.
At this point you wiped the laptop down and left it to dry upside down. Later you tried to charge the
laptop but it would no longer charge, at first you thought the issue was the charger so tried this on
another device which worked and as such came to the conclusion the laptop itself was damaged.
When you originally spoke with Deborah on 20th May 2021 you advised you thought the damage was
water damage due to noticing a spot of water on the laptop but advised you wasn’t sure. You also
AXA Insurance, AXA House, Northgate, White Lund Industrial Estate, Morecambe LA3 3PA
advised Be Valued that you weren’t sure what caused the damage and that it could be water
damage or a power surge. However, during our telephone call on 2nd June 2021 you provided a
detailed account regarding the circumstances which leads us to question why if you were aware this
is what happened to cause the damage, what was the reason for stating you weren’t sure on the
cause of damage before this telephone phone.
During our telephone call we also questioned the usage of your laptop. You confirmed you use the
laptop every single day to play games, watch films and check your emails. It is only you who has
access this laptop and since the damage occurred on 17th May 2021 you have used your wife’s
laptop since.
You also confirmed that you were using the laptop on the 17th May 2021 as you were on YouTube,
and that this was the last time the laptop was used. The data within the laptop has been verified and
it has been confirmed by our engineers that the last used date on your laptop is 14th November
2020. We can only conclude that the laptop was not last used when you stated and therefore, we
require your explanation as to the inconsistency in the usage of the laptop.
We will require your written explanation to the concerns outlined above. If you are unable or
unwilling to provide an explanation for the inconsistencies within the next 14 days, it will have to be
interpreted as there being no reasonable explanation, and that the discrepancies have arisen as a
result of an attempt to mislead us. This would be considered to be a breach of the general condition
relating to fraud in your policy, we recommend you familiarise yourself with this condition prior to
responding to our letter.
The rights of AXA Insurance are fully reserved. Any steps taken by us or on our behalf are without
prejudice to this reservation of rights.
Yours Sincerely,
Jordanne Dixon
Senior Claims Incident Manager
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Olumayowa Elegbede
8 St. James Close
Stalybridge
Cheshire
SK15 3FSRef: 18/12451340FThank you for your letter of 3rd of June 2021,.1. I can confirm my personal HP Spectre laptop experienced a water spill by my 5-year-old son as earlier stated on 17th May 2021.2. I have had daily use of 2 other PCs prior to that date. One being my office issued laptop and the other, a general home laptop, also used by my wife.3. I will soon not have access to my office issued laptop anymore and as such brought out the personal laptop in question out after a while of no use.4. The exact date of last use of that PC, I cannot confirm and would please like to request the proof from your engineers suggesting that it was 14th November 2020.5. The water spill happened while the said laptop was laid out beside me on the sofa.6. I recall making it clear to the caller on 20th May 2021 that I couldn’t adequately recollect the exact happenings on the day, more so over a phone call.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Many thanks for offering.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hello, what does it please cost for the premium service and what do I get? Thanks

Hi thank you I am sorry I will only be able to review properly after my telephone court hearing which will end around 5. I hope that will still be ok for you. In the interim I will ask the customer services to send you the premium service. It would be for me to draft the content of your letter/email but it still goes in your name as we do not represent on this platform but guide and give advice.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Paid. 5PM is excellent. Just to confirm, will this cover the whole communication with the Insurance if they do decide to get back with a response I need to respond to?

This is for me to draft your letter now however should they come back the thread will stoill be open you can attach response and I will be more than happy to guide you further. My break is finiing in a couple of mins so if i do not respond now do not think I am ignoring you, I will pick this up later. Thank you for your payment, customer services will have noted it.

Hi I am now looking at your information.

You will have to bear with me as there is clearly major allegations here than had appeared in your initial question. Don't worry I will get a draft to you this evening. Thank you for your continued patience.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** appreciated.

I have done the best I could with the information that you gave. Please see the draft attached and feel free to work with it to amend where it may not be accurate due to me only having limited information on the matter. I sincerely ***** ***** all the best.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.

You are welcome

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello,My membership here ends in a few days and not looking to continue. Was wondering if I could contact you outside here in case I don't hear back from the insurance before then or I needed your service thereafter?regards

Good afternoon, thank you for your message. Regrettably not but I believe you should be able to return at any time and if you start your enquiry with FAO Solicitor RM they will send it to me to respond.