Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have just put a deposit on a car from a Vauxhall showroom.

I have just put a deposit on a car from a Vauxhall showroom. They were advertising the car inside it for £11,499. When I went inside to pay the deposit the manager insisted the correct price on his computer was £12,000. I also saw the same model and year car in another colour advertised the same price. He said that was more money also. When I asked about this he insisted he was right. Can he do this.advertise one price on the forecourt but charge 500 extra.
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: No
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have put down a deposit because I really want the car.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Did he explain why the advertised price was different?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
He said that the price in the car was priced wrong at 11,499 but was advertised on line at £12,000.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No i am not paying anymore money, i have already paid £5

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I presume this will not cost anymore money.

The pop-up offering you the chance to request a phone call is automatically generated by the site and you have already paid for a written response so that is the part I will continue helping you with. I will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. Many thanks

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. A lot depends on whether this is an honest error or a deliberate ploy to try and attract potential customers

If it was an error, this is not unlawful and it can be corrected without any legal obligations or liabilities. In the end, no legally binding contract would have been formed until your offer to purchase the vehicle at the advertised price had been formally accepted by the seller.

On the other hand, if this was a deliberate mis-pricing to lure customers into a purchase by making it look like a good deal, it will be an unfair commercial practice and something that they can be reported to Trading Standards or the Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.