How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4739
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I am writing on behalf of my worker. He was arrested last

This answer was rated:

Good morning, I am writing on behalf of my worker. He was arrested last week, detained for several hours at the police station, then sent home. He was informed that he was accused of beating someone at the shop The Range. He denies these allegations. Now he received a letter from a lawyer regarding this case. Could you help with replying to the letter. It states that they want some financial compensation (165 Pounds) or settlement so they will not be initiating civil proceeding before court.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Birmingham UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nothing have been done so far he was sent home and he works as normal
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I know this person as an honest and decent person. We think (me and my husband who is also a director) that it was some kind of mistake or misunderstanding.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.

What was the outcome of the police investigation.

Was he charged with an offence, or released on police bail, or released with no further action?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hello, thank you for contacting me. My worker, Lukasz, was released because they didn't have too much evidence to detain him. The investigation is still in progress, as they said. When he was at the police station, he was asked about this day, about his action, and he denied everything. They have shown him some photographs , allegedly showing his face, but they mentioned various dates and it does not make sense. Now it seems, that the lawyer representing The Range, wants to continue and demands his response. Would yo like to see the letter they sent to him?

You can attach the letter if you would like to, I can read it and come back to you.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Here is the letter that my worker, Lukasz received today.

Let me take a look

Very well so he is accused of stealing from the store.

If he denies this, then he should say so, and refuse what they are asking for,

The police will continue there investigation, if they have sufficient evidence to charge they can do so. Then at the criminal court, the shop can claim for their costs as part of the sentencing.

If the police do not charge due to lack of evidence, that does not mean the person is innocent. Criminal and civil cases have different burdens of proof. Civil law is lesser than crimping law.

If the store take the case to civil court then with a list of staff witness statement etc, it is likely to be found against the person and the amount awarded as they claim, which if at court would be far more.

Your worker will know if he is actually guilty or not and should be made aware that simply because the police may not charge, does not mean he did not commit what is claimed.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Could you advice my worker if he should reply to this letter or what he should do now because I am a bit lost with it .

If he denies doing any wrong, then he can either reply to the letter and say he does not accept what they claim and they’re is no police charges made either,

Or he can simply ignore the letter, in which case they are likely to issue a letter before action and then go to court.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I think it is a good explanation and now I know what to say to him. Thank you very much for all your help and clarification.

Your very welcome.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

james bruce and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you