How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4719
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

Help. I'm unable to afford legal representation, and have a

Customer Question

Help. I'm unable to afford legal representation, and have a court date set for April 2022. My earnings take me over the threshold for legal aid. What are my options?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: applied for legal aid but contributions were up to 12,000
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: the prosecution will disclose case in a few days. Can I access the digital case system?
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 9 days ago.

Hello.   I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and shall be reviewing your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 9 days ago.

To enable me to answer your query, please provide me with some further information about your legal issue and how you want a lawyer to help you.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have been charged with ABH and am due in court in 2022. I am over the threshold for legal aid. What are my options? thank you
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Also, is there a way for me to access the digital case system. The prosecution will be disclosing the case this month
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 9 days ago.

Thank you for that further information.   I have considered your issue in further detail and it lies outside the scope of my legal expertise.   I believe that you need an Expert in Criminal Law.   I will “Opt Out” of this thread and allow another Legal Expert the opportunity to assist you.

Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.

If you are representing  yourself at court, then the VPS would normally serve you case papers in paper form at court.

The first court hearing is a preliminary hearing, where pleas will be taken and if decision as to which court will deal with the case, Magistrates or Crown Court.

Although you cannot get legal aid for full representation. At the magistrates court for the first hearing, you will be able to use the duty solicitor to represent you. Then moving forward, you can either pay privately or represent yourself.

If the case goes to crown court, ypu, an again apply for legal aid. It is still means tested, but legal aid will be granted, along with an amount you would have to pay yourself. Of you are found not guilty at crown court you  get your money back plus interest.
I hope this helps answer your question.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
thank you for getting back to me. I've already entered into a not guilty plea. The next hearing is for arraignment which is in September. in the meantime i would need to submit an outline for my defence, and and any evidence. But the first step is accessing the prosecution case. I understand this is done through the digital case system, but i dont have access. My question is how can i access the CPS paperwork now?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
the case is going to crown court. i made a claim for legal but had to revoke it as the contributions were to high (£12,000)
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
My plan is to instruct a barrister/advocate directly for the trial, but in the meantime provide the paperwork myself. Although i have been warned against this.
Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.

You may find it very difficult to find a lawyer will ing to accept your case only to represent you at court. They will need to have a full understanding of the case, he papers, and everything else to be able to represent property.

You will need to contact the Crown court dealing with your trial and the CPS to obtain case papers, it is possible you will as a self representing defendant be allowed access to the system, but more likely a case bundle will be prepared for you.

Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.