How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Turner Your Own Question
Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1729
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ed Turner is online now

My company received a County Court Judgment for a payment

This answer was rated:

Hello my company received a County Court Judgment for a payment claiming without any right. How can we answer against this?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: london
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: only email between us our company and them
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: yes the story isn’t short but I am sure that talking with the lawyer will be really simple

Hello.   I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and shall be reviewing your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

You as Defendant must make an Application under Part 3 of the Civil Procedure Rules 1998 (“CPR”) using Form N244 and request a Hearing before a District Judge with an estimated hearing length of no more than one hour for Default Judgment to be Set Aside under Part 13 CPR:

However, for such an Application to succeed, the Defendant must convince the Court of the following criteria set out in Part 13.3 CPR:

1.  The defendant has a real prospect of successfully defending the claim, or there is some other good reason why the judgment should be set aside, or the defendant should be allowed to defend the claim; and

2.  The application has been made promptly.

I hope this resolves your enquiry.   Please revert to me if you require any clarification of my answer to your question and I shall be delighted to assist.

Kind regards


Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks Ed, that is helpful.This are the line of the claim:
15 January 2021 This company started to sell my products in their shop
02.04.2021 I stopped working with them
06.04.2021 I took all my products out of their shop
06.04.2021 They imprisonment me inside the shop which is reported to police, they were very abusive(verbally) and aggressive.All the above are pretentious and not true.We are the part that should receive money, due that the relationship has been started like a partnership agreement to share Expenses (Rent, Inventory and Marketing) and Income of a temporary grocery shop, we never written and signed an agreement, but a verbal one, and written proof from the other part saying we are in a Partnership Agreement. The Temporary shop has had £20.000 in Revenues and £24.000 of Expenses, clearly during the first 3 weeks has been clear the other part has not enough funding to sustain the Expenses in the 40%-50% quote she committed to do. We could and we can now claim the 50% of the Expenses we had, but we decided (us like company) not to claim what it has been committed to not to be "evil", she is taking that lead without any right.
There is written proof of everything I said, we have all proofs that we are the only ones we paid the Rent for the shop, and she was refusing to give back the keys (06/04), and shouted outside and inside the shop, there is also a Security Guard like witness.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
We need to defend our rights and at this point have back what we are supposed to have like shared expenses.Can we make a claim for the 40%-50% of the partnership project expenses? like £9.000?

I have answered your first question to your satisfaction.  You have now posed additional questions which are outside the scope of the fee.   To answer these questions, I require payment of a further fee and have placed an offer on the Portal.

Ed Turner and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for that further information.   I am considering my reply and will post an answer on the Portal as soon as possible.   Please note that Just Answer is not an instant answering service and your patience is appreciated.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I forgot, still regarding clarification on the first question: 1. The defendant has a real prospect of successfully defending the claim... = EXAMPLES?
2. The application has been made promptly= WHICH TIMING IS PROMPTLY CONSIDERED?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
sure, take the time you need. Best regards

Thank you for that further information.  My apologies for the delay in reverting to you, but I was off-platform all weekend.   While I will post a text reply to your further question shortly, I have posted my direct contact details so please feel free to call or email me if you wish to discuss matters direct.