How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Turner Your Own Question
Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1742
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ed Turner is online now

This is relating to a student paying for his accommodation

Customer Question

This is relating to a student paying for his accommodation that he did not show up. I am a parent and a guarantor of the student and had to pay £7,495.00.due the fact that we signed contract in November 2019 when there was no covid19. Thank you.
JA: Where is he? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Homes for students. (The Maltings) at Colchester.
JA: What steps has he taken so far?
Customer: They did refund those who knew
and requested for refund in April 2920 for the first lockdown period which we missed out as we were not informed. We have requested for a refund for the period of the lockdown but they have not done anything as at now.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Please help these students as they've been home since the 23rd of March 2020 so it's only fair for everyone to bear this cost as this is no fault of them. Thank you.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 18 days ago.

Hello.   I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and shall be reviewing your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 18 days ago.

You have a claim in breach of contract and breach of the sale and supply of goods and services legislation against the landlord for the overpayment in fees.  You should send a letter of claim to them.  There are plenty of free templates online and the consumer protection advice magazine/website “Which?” has a useful template which you can adapt to your claim:

If they do not reply with their reasons for disputing the claim within 21 days, you should issue court proceedings via the Government’s Small Claims Track Online System:  The issue fee will be about £500 for a claim of this size.

A party cannot normally recover solicitors’ costs on the Small Claims Track.   However, it is designed for non-lawyers (known as “Litigants In Person”).  The trials are relatively informal, and the judges do not expect parties to have the same legal knowledge as experienced solicitors and barristers.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 18 days ago.

I hope this resolves your enquiry.   Please revert to me if you require any clarification of my answer to your question and I shall be delighted to assist.

Kind regards


Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you and i will get back if required further assistance.
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 17 days ago.

I am delighted that I have resolved your enquiry.

I wish you all the very best in resolving this matter and of course for safely navigating the current “choppy waters” in which we all find ourselves. :)

Kind regards