How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Turner Your Own Question
Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1741
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ed Turner is online now

I want to find out about insurance technology claims, I

Customer Question

Hi I want to find out about insurance technology claims, I claimed through my bank. They scrapped my laptop without my permission and then are offering me an amount less than required to purchase a refurbished one from a reputable supplier. Their suppliers they have chosen have bad customer feedback and I disappointed that I paid £75 for this service and continue paying the monthly fee. My question is, am I likely to revive more if I file for financial redress?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I complained but their team has said they have stuck with their financial decision of their initial offer
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: in the past they have agreed to provide prices from a supplier I trusted and showed them and that was for other items
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 17 days ago.

Hello.   I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and shall be reviewing your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I do not want the premium service phone call please
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 17 days ago.

You have a claim in breach of contract and breach of the sale and supply of goods and services legislation against the insurer.    The Defendant was under a duty in contract law and statute to provide you with a product and service that was fit for purpose, of reasonably satisfactory quality and matched the description at the point of sale.   Your damages will be the cost of a suitable replacement laptop which they have refused to pay you.

You should send a letter of claim to them.  There are plenty of free templates online and the consumer protection advice magazine/website “Which?” has a useful template which you can adapt to your claim:

If they do not reply with their reasons for disputing the claim within 21 days, you should issue court proceedings via the Government’s Small Claims Track Online System:  The issue fee will be no more than £500 for a claim of this size.

A party cannot normally recover solicitors’ costs on the Small Claims Track.   However, it is designed for non-lawyers (known as “Litigants In Person”).  The trials are relatively informal, and the judges do not expect parties to have the same legal knowledge as experienced solicitors and barristers.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 17 days ago.

I hope this resolves your enquiry.   Please revert to me if you require any clarification of my answer to your question and I shall be delighted to assist.

Kind regards


Customer: replied 17 days ago.
it does thanks
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 17 days ago.

That's great to hear!   All the best with it!!