How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7975
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I bought a used car 4 weeks ago from a dealer, the car is

Customer Question

I bought a used car 4 weeks ago from a dealer, the car is faulty and I have an aa report stating this. I contacted the dealer yesterday just within the 30 days and he is not dealing with it.
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: Surrey
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have emailed the dealer, sent the AA report and told him I am entitled to a full refund.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no just need confirmation of my rights please
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 12 days ago.


I am a solicitor.

You have the right to a full refund within 30 days under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and reject the car.

How much did you pay for the vehicle?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
what should I now do please?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
ok so unless I spend more that's it no more advice?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 12 days ago.

You should complain to trading standards and you should send the dealer a letter asking for the refund within 14 days failing which you may file a claim in the small claims court for the money online at

You should state that you will give up possession of the car when you receive your money.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks so I definitely entitled to a refund as can’t understand his attitude?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 12 days ago.

Yes, you have the right to reject the car and ask for a refund (no quibbles) within 30 days if it is faulty

All the best

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 12 days ago.

You are welcome.