JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

Thank you for answering. I am in the UK on the south coast.I

Customer Question

Hi. Thank you for answering.
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in the UK on the south coast.I would just like to check something out. I have motor insurance through the RAC.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The RAC have just increased my premium by approximately £200 per year due to a claim my partner (a named driver on my policy) made last October due to damage she received to her car (her fault) in her company car park. How can this affect my insurance? If it can, how can it nearly double my premium?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am 62 yo and my partner is 57 yo, I have full no claims discount and protected no claims bonus. With thanks. Al.
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 16 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 16 days ago.

The problem is your partner is named on your policy so is associated with you (in contractual terms) and the insurer sees you/your partner as more of a risk, hence the increased premium. The same thing happened to myself - the insurer bases the premium on risk so if you have points or been involved in any accident, fault or non-fault, they see you as a greater risk and charge you more.

However, you are covered under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 here which means you have a right to expect a service (from the insurer) carried out with reasonable care and skill. Furthermore, the policy should be “fit for purpose” and “as described”. If it isn’t then you can allege breach of your consumer rights and breach of contract.

You should now make a formal complaint and if that does not resolve the matter ask them for a "deadlock letter", which is a letter giving their final response. You can make the complaint here: https://www.rac.co.uk/complaints

Once you have the deadlock letter the next step would be to escalate this to the Ombudsman - they will investigate and liaise with the insurer which would hopefully result in a reduction of the renewal premium. They can order the insurer to make a financial award for inconvenience if they have acted poorly.

Once you have their final response, you can make the complaint to the Ombudsman here : www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumers/how-to-complain

Or by email:***@******.***

Based on the circumstances, assuming the insurer does not uphold your complaint, I am sure the Ombudsman will do. The Ombudsman will look at this case independently and will make a decision based on what happened. Their decision is binding on the insurer.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 16 days ago.

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,
Jim

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 16 days ago.

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,

Jim