INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

Fields and I have two Lasting Powers of Attorney for my

My name is***** and I have two Lasting Powers of Attorney for my elder sister. One for her properties and the second for her Financial Affairs that were issued 4 December 2013. I need to know if these are already enforced or is there something else I need to so to have them enforced. I have just today learned that someone is taking advantage of her vulnerability
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Newton Stewart, Scotland, but my sister lives in Consett, Tyne & Wear
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None. There has really been no need so far, but my sister; who is 85 years old, is getting more and more "Frilly minded", gets easily confused and in this particular case Is being uncannily frequently visited at her home and persuaded to promise the hand-over of certain valuables. This I feel is deeply suspicious and unhealthy.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am also her executor in her will - at least the last one I have been issued with.

Thank you for your query. I am a Solicitor-Advocate in the UK and will be assisting you with your question today.

The LPA's should have been registered with the Office of the Public Guardian.  They will come into effect when your sister loses capacity to make her own decisions.  At which point, you as the Attorney will be able to act.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
OK, that is what I thought, but who or when does someone decide that she has lost her capacity to make her own decisions. In this case one of her nieces with the entourage of her own family, her father who is a nice man but is now 90 years old and does not wish to be involved in anything, and her daughter-in-law who we know nothing about are frequently visiting my sister. I was told by my sister today that at a previous visit she had promised her niece the complete set of Ladro ornaments and an emerald ring worth £4000.- upon her death and that this unknown individual (the niece’s daughter-in-law) had proceeded there and then to type out a letter to this effect on my sister’s laptop to words of this effect which my sister signed. It does not end here as these same people want to visit again after only a short time. Something is very wrong here. How can this be undone and stopped?

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.