INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I sign the Estate agents contract. To say if I pull out

I sign the Estate agents contract. To say if I pull out within a few days of exchanging contracts I would be responsible for paying their fees£3000.00 I had no intention of pulling out, however the house I was moving into pulled out 3/4 days before we exchanged,, leaving me with nowhere to move to.... I was told to rent, which was out of the question for me financially... I tried to find some another suitable house to buy. Absolutely nothing for sale all sold... my buyers extended there lease , . Property has. risen by £1000.00. I can’t put the prose of my property up as I had all ready agreat the going rate at the time of sale.... I have NO money out of work due to coved the agents are still holding me responsible.. I’m so stressed out, I cant cope with every day life....no other estate agent in my area has this policy. I never understood what I had signed... nervier heard of such a thing.. I’m now overwhelmed with life I just don’t know which way to turn..can you help me please
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have been to see the Owner and explained my situation.. he said I will have to pay when I move.. this was about 3 months ago. I have been looking but nowhere suitable has been put on the market.. a house the same as mine has just sold for £1000 more then I agreed to sale mine
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: Only the one who was dealing with my sale. What sort of lawyer
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I. can’t afford a lawyer

Thank you for your query. I am a Solicitor-Advocate in the UK and will be assisting you with your question today.

If contracts have been exchanged and you are no longer selling the property, I am afraid that if the agreement states you would be liable to pay the agents fees, ypu would have to pay them.

The agents would have incurred marketing costs, which they would usually have covered once a property is sold.  If you are no longer selling and have withdrawn, they would be entitled to charge subject to the agreement you have signed.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
They had not exchanged

Depending on the terms you have signed, you could still be liable.