How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2663
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

I need some advice regarding immigration, i am a Barbadian

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: i need some advice regarding immigration
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: i am a Barbadian Citizen currently in the UK with my wife to whom is a UK Citizen, we had arrived in the UK on the 26th April. My passport was stamped with a 6 month visitor visa. the issue we are having is my wife is 5 months pregnant and the baby is due Oct 19th but my victors stamp expires on 22nd Oct which is a bit stressful as i possibly wont be here for the birth of our baby. i have been looking to thorugh
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visitor visa?
Customer: i have been looking at the ancestry visa mainly because one of my grandparents is a UK Citizen.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: will there be n any fees
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
i need advise regarding immigration
Expert:  Vineet S replied 16 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Meanwhile, please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Okay sure,
Expert:  Vineet S replied 16 days ago.

Hi there,

On a standard visitor visa you can stay in the UK for over 6 months . Visitor visa can only be extended on medical grounds, if you are not able to travel back due to your medical health .

You can apply for a spouse visa or UK ancestry visa from your home country.

You can not switch to any other visa category from the visitor visa from within the UK.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
is there a possibility of traveling to a neighbouring country to apply for the UK ancestry visa? or do i HAVE to go back to my home in Barbados? trying not to do that as fees are super expensive and lots of traveling my main concern is if im too far away and the baby is born or my wife has complications i was thinking of traveling to Portugal. can i apply for the ancestry visa from Portugal ?
Expert:  Vineet S replied 16 days ago.

No, you can only apply from your home country or country of your residence.