12826847

I am wanting to create a personal website with a blog (as an

Customer Question

I am wanting to create a personal website with a blog (as an individual rather than as any form of organisation) to collect, collate and report on the views of people living with the same illness as myself.This will include regular (annual/monthly) online surveys or polls that users can complete, if they choose to.These surveys and polls will ask about their personal experiences of the illness, their needs/wants and opinions, including about the actions/performance of the various charities and representative groups that exist for our illness.I have two areas of legal concerns before going ahead:1. GDPR and Data Protection --- If I collect the email address and IP address of those completing the surveys, what does this mean I need to do in terms of GDPR and Data Protection? This personal information will only be used to ensure each person cannot submit the survey more than once - it will not be used for any further contact or other purposes after the survey.Inevitably some basic information on the health of the respondents will also be collected - i.e. confirming if they have the illness in question, to what broad level and for how long. I understand this kind of data may change my obligations.If were to run these surveys without those personal identifiers being collected, but still with some health info as above, am I right to assume I'd be under no legal obligations of GDPR, etc, in this respect?2. Defamation or Libel --- results of the surveys would be shared on the website and also on social media. Would the results alone or with the inclusion of any opinions/analysis and commentary from myself leave me open to potential legal problems regarding defamation, libel and such. I, of course, intend to be fair, reasonable and measured in all reporting/commentary but there are frustrations with our charities/reps which would be communicated (e.g. things like: people don't think you're spending money how we want you to, your strategy isn't how we want it or we don't feel heard or listened to by our charities). My intention is also not to single out one charity, so survey results specifically on one charity would not be shared but rather I want to hold them all more to account and help them hear feedback better from the people they serve.ThanksGlen
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 18 days ago.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
OK to wait, thanks
Expert:  AlinaK-admin replied 16 days ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Alina-Moderator
Expert:  Alex J. replied 16 days ago.

Hello,  Thank you for your question and welcome.  My name is ***** ***** I would be grateful to assist you.  I am a privacy expert.  Do you have a privacy notice? How long will you keep the data for?  What country will the data be stored?  Are you only collect data from UK citizens?  Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hello AJ, I don't have one yet no. I would set a date for closing each survey to responses, then would remove the data results from my website system to a local drive offline, I would aim to anonymise the data within 30 days of closure (removing email and IP addresses) then keep the anonymised data for a number of years for annual comparison of results.Yes, the data will only be collected from UK citizens. Visitors from outside of UK will be blocked from the site via a firewall and respondents of the survey will be asked if they are resident in the UK before being allowed to answer the survey.ThanksGlen
Expert:  Alex J. replied 15 days ago.

Hello, Thank you with GDPR and Data Privacy considerations the main concern is to consider:

- Can they data you are collecting be used to identify someone personally?  if yes

- Do you have a lawful basis for processing that data?  In this circumstance it is consent - you can only use the data for the purpose people are consenting to i.e participation in the survey with a view to having their data anonymised;

On this basis your activity is very low risk- especially as it only relates to UK citizens.  What you need is a screen where they confirm their consent to the use of their email address and IP address and the terms on which it will be deleted.

Do you have a cookies policy or collect any cookies?  I do hope this has been useful so far and look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It doesn't feel like my questions have been read or answered very well