SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

A private school has a debt collector writing to me. The

A private school has a debt collector writing to me. The debt is for optional extra-curriculum activities that my daughter did not participate in. The school was informed each time that we could not afford these activities and will not be participating. None the less they kept billing me for the activities. We have asked for detailed itemised bill but this has not been forth-coming. What power does the "creditor" have? I am in Scotland. Can they seize my daughters goods? She has now left the school but personal belongings need to be collected.
JA: Has she talked to a lawyer about this? What country does she live in? If different, what country does this legal question relate to?
Customer: Scotlanhd. No, has not talked to a lawyer.
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: I have disputed the bill. Applied a Subject Access Request (still to be fulfilled)
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so. How much does this service cost?
JA: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit.
Customer: ok

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

How did you inform the school that your daughter would not be participating? and how long ago was this please?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
They were informed by email and text. It has been the case that these charges are disputed every year but I continure to get billed

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
ok

My apologies, I have looked into your query in more detail but unfortunately it is not something I can assist with. I will therefore ‘opt out’ and a colleague better placed to deal with the nature of your query should hopefully pick this up soon. Please do not reply in the meantime as that will just assign the question back to me and you will experience a delay. Thank you

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Tetyana-moderator

Good morning, welcome to just answer and thank you for your patience. I have reviewed your question. The contract is with the parents as your daughter would have been a minor. If the extra curricular activities were optional she did not opt in then you can defend the claim and refuse to pay and can warn the debt collectors that their continued contact will be treated as harassment and appropriate action taken. On the other hand if they are mandatory and she had no option to decide not to do them then even if she didn’t attend you would still be liable because she is not entitled to unilaterally vary the agreement without the school consent. In this situation you would have to settle the accrued charges unfortunately.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. Always glad to assist, all the best.

SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience: Director and Principal Solicitor. UK