John
John, Solicitor
Experience:  10 years legal experience
106125879

I operate hotels and would like a legal opinion on charging

Customer Question

Hi there. I operate hotels and would like a legal opinion on charging guests a penalty for smoking in the rooms.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England, United Kingdom
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have not taken any steps, apart from displaying no smoking signs in the rooms and entrances
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no that’s fine thank you
Expert:  John replied 19 days ago.

Hello, how are you? Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Please note there may be delays in responding as I am away helping other customers but I will get back to you as soon as I can.  I may also need to ask you some clarifying questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  John replied 19 days ago.

Thanks for your message, I appreciate it is important for you.

The smoke free legislation makes it illegal to smoke in all public enclosed places. This applies to hotels and guest houses and therefore smoking in these places is against the law. As an owner of a hotel you are required to display “no-smoking” signs at entrances to your hotel and to take all reasonable action to ensure your business, staff and premises comply with the Regulations.

You can impose a smoking fee however the smoke-free laws are enforced by the Council, whether it is for non compliant guests or non compliant business owners.

I hope this helps. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help.

Expert:  John replied 19 days ago.

Hello, just following up on this to ensure you're satisfied with what you need to do. Please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help. All the best, John.