Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I am trying to return a car to a private dealership they

Hello I am trying to return a car to a private dealership they stated that they will only be able to do in two weeks that lands on the 11th of this month. But the problem is that the 11th lands on the 30 day mark and am wondering what my rights are in regards ***** ***** refund this I have dated text messages with the business’s number that they will give me a full refund. I was to believe this until I went to take the car off the road SORN it and have found they are yet to put the car in my name so I would not be able to get a tax refund on this car
JA: Where is this? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: The purchase was actually made on the 21st may so the 14 day won’t land on the 11th I live in Chelmsford and the dealer is in Dagenham called AUTOZ MOTOROZ SALEZ
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have raised a complaint with the dealer and they have stated they do not have the money to do the refund until the 11th they have also stated that because the car is being returned they are not going to put it in my name I had contacted citizens advice last Monday and they said I have legal right to the refund and to contact an ombudsman
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I think that’s everything

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Why has the dealer asked you to return the car on this specific date?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The dealer has stated that they do not have the money till then that it has been spent. The dealer is collecting the car since the car has serious faults with the engine after being “fixed” by their mechanic
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hello sorry I am unable to see your response?

Thank you very much for clarifying. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

The key is that you contact them to officially communicate your decision to reject it in he initial 30 days after purchase. The handover itself can happen outside of that period, but it is the notification of your decision to reject that must be given to them in the first 30 days. You have already done so and it has been accepted by them so even if the return takes place on or after the 30 days, it will not affect your legal rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
If the dealer keeps pushing the date back for when he is going to take the car and give me the refund what rights do in regards ***** ***** and how would I go about getting him to pay?

You can rely on Clause 20(15) of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 which states:

A refund under this section must be given without undue delay, and in any event within 14 days beginning with the day on which the trader agrees that the consumer is entitled to a refund.

If they do not issue a refund within these 14 days you can take things further and eventually make a claim in court to recover the money, should it be required