JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

Public house has revealed my previous conviction to

Customer Question

Public house has revealed my previous conviction to customers based off a credit card purchase I made in it
JA: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?
Customer: Charges because this is gone back to a previous conviction
JA: Where did this occur?
Customer: In a public house
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Oakham. The public houses called the railway pub
Expert:  james bruce replied 9 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.

Can ypu please provide more information on what has happened. How using a credit card in the pub lead them to know if you have criminal convictions, this would not show when you use a credit card.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Basically the landlord or landlady then googled my name after I made the purchase and then passed it on to customers in the public house I've not released my surname to anybody and the only way they would have known my surname and then been able to Google it would be through my credit card purchase
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I've kept my personal details very very private since my released from prison so the only way they would have had that information would be through my credit card and that is it

Understood, sorry this has happened, but I don’t think I can assist with this, I will opt out so another expert can help you..

Expert:  TetyanaP-admin replied 8 days ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Tetyana-moderator
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

The public house should not have divulged your sensitive data to anyone. They have no excuse and they cannot rely on any of the exemptions under the GDPR data protection law.

If your data is being used without your consent, this is in breach of the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR).

GDPR protects data subjects and if you do not consent, anyone who hands out your data can be held in breach of GDPR. What this means is that the Information Commissioner's Office (the "ICO") can fine companies heavily if they find there has been a breach. The fines are either up to £17m or 4% of company turnover, whichever is greater. As such, I would recommend that you inform the ICO on 0303(###) ###-#### They also have a "live chat" facility on their site - you can visit it here: https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/

They will take your details and if they feel there has been a data breach will contact the company and possibly fine them. A lot of companies do not realise the extent of the fines and it is envisaged a lot of businesses will go bust in the event of a breach, not just because of the fines but because the aggrieved party can also claim compensation.

If the ICO tells you there has been a GDPR breach then it makes it much easier to claim compensation (under Article 77 of GDPR) - the amount of which varies and depends on the severity of the breach and the impact it has had upon the aggrieved party. Here is a useful link for the range of damages depending on the nature of the breach : https://www.forbessolicitors.co.uk/personal/data-breach-claims.htm

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,
Jim

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,

Jim