Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I need some advice. I am on Methadone because of chronic

Customer Question

Good Evening, my name is ***** ***** I need some advice. I am on Methadone because of chronic pain, I have to take it every day or I will go into withdrawal which could be fatal. They have now changed it, without informing me, to a different brand which has Methadone in it but it also contains other ingredients, one of which is Tartrazine, which I am allergic to, and as it builds up in my system, I get sicker and sicker. I didn't even realise that it had been changed so I didn't know that it is the new Methadone, which is called Physeptone, that is making me ill. Yesterday when I noticed that the name on the bottle had changed, I put two and two together and looked up the ingredients online, and there it was, in big, bold, capital letters TARTRAZINE, the same stuff that nearly killed me as a child. I was terribly upset, angry and so so sick that I phoned them immediately. I got hold of one of my keyworkers and told her the whole story and that I am extremely ill, she asked me to hold and I held for quite a while and when she came back on the line she was very abrupt with me, said she would get back to me and put the phone down. A little later in the day, my other key worker, a man called Gary phoned me and said that I will just have to take it until the following week when I get my new lot because there is no way that they could change it. I get my Methadone weekly, each day's Methadone is in a separate little bottle, so there is no reason why they couldn't take back and dispose of the lot that was making me sicker and weaker by the day and give me the normal Methadone that does not contain Tartrazine. Not taking the Physeptone is not an option because the withdrawal would make me even sicker or even kill me, so I have to keep taking this stuff that is making me so very ill. Would I have a case against them should I decide to sue them and if so, how would I go about it, please keep in mind that I do not have a lot of money, so I can't hire a lawyer. Thank you, ***** *****
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Norfolk, England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None yet, like I said, I am very very ill
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I can't think of anything, thank you
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 16 days ago.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Good Evening, I have no problem with waiting as long as it takes. I think it is terrible what they have done to me and I want them to know that it is wrong and not to do it to anyone else. I also think that I should should be compensated for them making me so sick for so many months! Thank you, ***** *****
Expert:  Buachaill replied 15 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 15 days ago.

1.  Have you ever filled in a list of the allergies you suffered from for your key workers or for the suppliers of your Methadone, in which you indicated you were allergic to Tartrazine?  In other words, have the care workers been aware you were allergic to Tartrazine?

Expert:  Buachaill replied 13 days ago.

2.  Dear L. Turner, the bot***** *****ne is that you can sue and you will have a good cause of action here if the suppliers of your methadone were aware you were allergic to Tartrazine when they were supplying you with Methadone which contained this in it.  However, I regret to say that you will not be able to sue if they were unaware that you were allergic to the Tetrazine, as they had no way of knowing that you were allergic to the product.   Essentially, liablity rests upon them knowingly supplying you with a defective product of Methadone containing Tartrazine when they knew you were allergic to this product.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 13 days ago.

3.  If you require any additional information about the answer, or if there is additional material you would like to supply in respect of the question, I am happy to assist further.