SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

A question on behalf of my sister who did an advertisement

Hi, a question on behalf of my sister who did an advertisement some time ago in the UK and is not being paid royalties for it being shown in other countries. They have first lied and said they the rights and then have offered her £100. We think they are doing this to a number of actors. Are you able to tell us who we need to contact for further support please?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: sister is not currently in the UK but is a citizen here where she did the the advert
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: not that I know of. Like I said, I am enquiring on her behalf as she is not currently in the UK but I am

Good morning, welcome to just  answer. I am a solicitor and reviewing your question now for you.

Whether she is entitled to a payment and how much will depend on the agreement she had with the advertising company/agent at the time. If there was no agreement as to royalties she will struggle to say that she was entitled to any. She would have a right to request that her images/videos are not used going forward as she has a right to be forgotten under the GDPR and DPA 2018, however even this will depend on whether she agreed for them to have copyright to her images/videos. She must look back to the terms and conditions when she did the shoot this will help clarify the legal rights and obligations between the parties. If it happens that she did agree to a royalty and a figure then she can back date her claim up to 6 years only due to limitation rules.

Any follow up do not hesitate to send your message. All the best.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.

You are welcome.